Medical Scribe Professional Training Program
A Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM) is a revolutionary concept in modern medicine. Traditionally, a physician’s job has been focusing solely on direct patient contact and care. However, the advent of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) created an overload of documentation and clerical responsibilities that slows physicians down and pulls them away from actual patient care. Therefore to relieve the documentation overload, physicians across the country are turning to Certified Medical Scribe Professionals (CMSPTM) to help them get back to doing what they love…providing patient care!
A Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM) is essentially a personal assistant to the physician; performing documentation in the EHR, gathering information for the patient’s visit, and partnering with the physician to deliver the pinnacle of efficient patient care.
For someone interested in medicine, whether it is a personal interest, or part of a career goal to become a physician or physician assistant, the chance to become a Certified Medical Scribe Professional is unlike any other opportunity available. It offers exciting one-on-one collaboration with a physician and is unprecedented in its level of exposure to real medicine in practice.
As a result, the Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM) is quickly becoming the standard for pre-medical experience and is suggested by medical school acceptance committees across the country. The competition to become a Certified Medical Scribe Professional is intense, and the demand for Certified Medical Scribe Professionals (CMSPTM) across the country has never been higher.
This online training program is designed for an individual new to healthcare and will provide traniing in the areas of Medical Terminology, Anatomy & Physiology; prior to training the individual in how-to-scribe.
Medical Scribe Informational Podcast
The primary function of a Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM) scribe is the creation and maintenance of the patient’s medical record, which is created under the supervision of the attending physician. The scribe will document the patient’s story, the physician’s interaction with the patient, the procedures performed, the results of laboratory studies, and other pertinent information. Additional functions of a scribe may include ordering laboratory/radiology studies, assisting with the patient’s disposition, documenting consultations, and notifying the physician when important studies are completed.
Characteristics that contribute to the success of a Medical Scribe Professional include:
- Strong English grammar skills.
- A compelling interest in healthcare.
- Outgoing and friendly personality.
- Strong desire to work onsite in a clinical setting.
- Superior analytical and resource skills.
- Strong computer and keyboarding skills.
- Keen listening skills.
- Strong hand-eye coordination.
- High level of concentration.
- Attention to detail.
- A commitment to lifelong learning.
- Looking for a career that has an excellent future.
Certified Medical Scribe Professionals (CMSPsTM) are indispensable to the healthcare industry. A scribe is a physician collaborator who fulfills the primary clerical and non-medical functions of the busy physician or practitioner. By focusing on data collection and its documentation in order to establish a rapid and smooth workflow, the physician is relieved from having to make time-consuming electronic health record entries and can instead concentrate on patient care. The scribe will also actively track down delayed lab and imaging results and any other pertinent information in order to increase the accuracy of the completed medical record. This will allow the physician to prioritize tasks he or she must accomplish in a given time period.
Medical Scribe Professionals earn between $10 and $16 per hour and can earn significantly more with increased experience and responsibility. Of course, the average annual salary varies based on geographic location.
If you’re looking for a secure career in a fast-growing field, then the role of Medical Scribe Professional could be your answer. Get started today and in less than six months you can be gainfully employed as a Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM)!
With the major changes in health care, Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSPTM) is quickly becoming one of the fastest-growing professions in the United States.
This course is designed to train the individual in the field of medical scribing. Students will learn the fundamentals of the career, including medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, electronic health records, medico-legal rules and regulations, including HIPAA, the essentials of medical coding and reimbursement, and hands-on education using practical scribe scenarios to fulfill the diversity of the scribe training program. The skills and knowledge of a medical scribe may be applied in an ambulatory care clinic, surgical center, hospital setting, emergency department and other health care environments within the US healthcare system.
This course is online and is a self-paced, mentor-supported course with instructor feedback and assistance as required. Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Understand the profession, roles, etiquette, and personality of a functioning and successful scribe, including HIPAA and medico-legal requirements.
- Understand the basics of medical terminology and medical office procedures.
- Analyze, pronounce, and spell medical terms using common combining forms, suffixes, and prefixes.
- Name body systems and their functions; identify body cavities and specific organs within them.
- Understand and analyze diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Understand the basic organization of the body.
- Identify the major body systems and understand how each system functions.
- Identify the relationship between the structure and function of the body system.
- Comprehend the basic healthcare economics: ethical and legal aspects.
- Build knowledge of diagnostic procedures and procedural coding.
- Learn common pharmacology, diagnostics, case presentations, and medical charting.
- Describe the functions of electronic health records and explain the advantages offered over paper-based records.
- Explain the importance of clinical standards in the development of inter-operable electronic health records.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how electronic health records are used in physician practices and other outpatient settings.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how electronic health records are used in hospitals.
- Effectively utilize information technology and medical terms as they apply to electronic health records.
- Apply scribe workplace fundamentals through directed multimedia scenarios.
- Prepare for a rewarding career in the healthcare industry.
The American Healthcare Documentation Professionals Group (AHDPGTM) certifies qualifying medical scribe professionals who specialize in real-time medical record documentation. Our certification is sought and earned by medical scribe professionals on a voluntary basis. We certify only those medical scribe professionals who meet high educational, professional standing, and examination standards.
AHDPGTM administers the Medical Scribe Certification Exam, also known as the MSCE. The test is designed to verify a medical scribe’s breadth of knowledge with respect to medical terminology, technical spelling, the Patient Privacy Rule and HIPAA, the scribe’s role in medico-legal risk mitigation, understanding the essential elements of documenting a physician-patient encounter, evaluation and management level, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS), the Joint Commission’s Accountability Measures, and general knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of general medical personnel.
Graduates from the AHDPGTM Medical Scribe Professional program are eligible and encouraged to sit for the MSCE upon graduation.
The Medical Scribe program fee is an all-inclusive fee which covers everything a student needs to successfully complete our program. Our program fee covers:
- Course fees.
Program Title: Medical Scribe Professional
Option 1 – Pay Upfront Plan – Save 10%!
The pay upfront program offers a 10% tuition discount for those individuals who are willing to pay upfront for their education.
Option 2 – Military Discount – Save 10%
As a Military Friendly School a 10% tuition discount is available to active military personnel and their spouses.
*The Pay Upfront Plan and the Military Discount cannot be combined and is limited to only one discount.
Option 3 – Monthly Payment Plan
The monthly payment plan includes a one-time initial payment of $295 due at time of enrollment with the balance billed in monthly installments. A 3% payment processing fee applies, and payments are automatically deducted from your credit card or bank account. Contact Admissions for details.
Option 4 – MyCAA Funding Program
We know that maintaining a career can be difficult with your military lifestyle. That’s why we provide a flexible way to complete your education in careers that are essential nationwide. Learn at home, on your own schedule for a career that will travel with you wherever you go. With MyCAA your education costs may be 100% covered, meaning you can focus on your future and not tuition costs. The MyCAA Funding program is administered by the Department of Defense.
Q: What are the minimum computer requirements for the course?
- The minimum computer requirements in order to successfully complete the course are as follows:
- Computer: Pentium-class PC with 1.7 Ghz processor or better
- RAM: 1GB min for 32bit; 2GB min for 64bit OS
- Operating System: Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1 or 10, MAC OS X
- High Speed Internet
- Headset/mic recommended (optional)
- Internet Explorer (9 or higher), latest versions of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
- Windows users: Microsoft PowerPoint viewer (free) or full Microsoft PowerPoint
- MAC users: Apple Keynote or PowerPoint for MAC and Windows Media Components for Quicktime (Flip4Mac Standard)
- Adobe Reader or equivalent PDF reader
Darlene Castles, CMSS, CMSP
Medical Scribe Instructor
Darlene’s journey into the world of healthcare began 20 years ago when she graduated from a Medical Transcription Course and began working in the Medical Records Department of a large Hospital. She quickly moved to Trainer/Educator and Quality Assessment Specialist and later completed a HITECH program in the specialty of Trainer in EMR implementation. Following that she served as an adjunct instructor at a local community college, and taught several courses (Pathophysiology, Medical Terminology, and Pharmacology) in the Health Information Technology (HIT) Program. Since then she has received training to become a Scribe and has worked as a Scribe Trainer and implementation manager which has allowed her to Implement scribe programs and train scribes at many different facilities at many different locations which includes a wide variety of medical specialties. She is also trained on Epic and has worked with many other EHR systems.
Darlene enjoys working with students – enjoys the interaction, and cares about the success of each student.
The Nation’s Leader in Healthcare Documentation Services, Training, and Certification