Medical Scribe / Clinical Medical Assisting Combination with Externship
An increasing number of healthcare organizations across the U.S. are looking for individuals who can operate in the role of a medical assistant when rooming and closing each patient encounter and medical scribe while the Physician or other licensed healthcare provider is examining the patient
Why Should You Choose a Career as a combination Clinical Medical Assistant/Medical Scribe?
The role of a Clinical Medical Assistant is in great demand and growing. The growth and complexity of the U.S. healthcare system have resulted in a substantial increase in the need for qualified clinical medical assistants. Employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 23 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. The growth of the aging baby-boom population will continue to increase the demand for preventive medical services, which are often provided by physicians. As a result, physicians will hire more assistants to perform routine administrative and clinical duties, allowing the physicians to see more patients.
Medical assistants held about 686,600 jobs in 2018 and employment is projected to increase by 154,900 by 2028. Most of these assistants work in clinicians’ offices and other healthcare facilities. Most medical assistants work in physicians’ offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and other healthcare facilities. Most medical assistants work full time. Some work evenings or weekends to cover shifts in medical facilities that are always open.
The median annual wage of medical assistants was $34,800 in July 2020. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less.
To see a copy of the US Bureau of Labor Statistics report for medical assistants.
The increased use of electronic health records (EHR’s) is changing medical assistants’ jobs. More and more clinicians are adopting EHR’s, moving all their patient information online. This is driving an increase in the use of individuals in the dual role of MA Scribe or Medical Assistant/Medical Scribe.
MA Scribes work hand-in-hand with our MD, NP, and PA providers.
- Transcribe medical charting for Providers.
- Assist in fundamental clinical care including Point of Care (POC) testing, intake of vitals and other procedures.
- Assist in coordinating patient triage and overall workflow.
- Maintain medical records, lab results, imaging reports in accurate manner in EHR.
- Manage faxing and referral process.
- Skills Required: Previous use of EMR, Medical Terminology, Type 60+ words per minute
- High School Diploma required
- Medical Scribe experience preferred
- Medical Assistant experience preferred
- Experience in an Urgent Care environment preferred
Certification and/or licensure to meet Order Entry requirements through one (1) of the following:
- Medical Assistant Certification (CCMA, CMA, NCMA or RMA.)
- Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) Certification
- Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSP) Certification
- Healthcare Professional Licensure including but not limited to EMT, ARRT, RN, LPN, etc.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Keyboard proficiency
- Experience using Electronic Health Records
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Social perceptiveness and service oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Preferred
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office programs
Collaboration: Takes ownership for collectively establishing productive partnerships and relationships and seek to gain joint understanding of priorities and objectives so that the greater good of the organization and those we serve is always at the forefront.
Innovation: Consistently uses good judgment, applying creativity to overcome obstacles and increasing effectiveness and efficiency though process and other forms of innovation.
Diversity and Inclusion: Fosters diversity and inclusion, to be able to better understand team members, our customers and partners. Engages the strengths and talents of each team member, creating an environment of involvement, respect and connection where the richness of ideas, backgrounds and perspectives are harnessed.
Integrity: Models and practices the highest ethical and professional standards; demonstrates pride and personal interest in our patients, partners and fellow team members, deeply engaging in the business. Makes decisions, with a focus on doing the right thing; treats team members, our customers, partners and vendors with dignity, consideration, open-mindedness and respect.
Accountability: Always shows initiative, demonstrates a bias to action and gets things done. Actively accepts responsibility for diverse roles, obligations and actions that positively influence patient and customer outcomes, our partnerships and the healthcare needs of our communities.
This program prepares students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical and healthcare documentation capture aspects of a medical office. Instruction includes preparing patients for examination and treatment, routine laboratory procedures, pharmacology, taking and documenting vital signs, technical aspects of phlebotomy, the 12-lead EKG and the cardiac life cycle. In addition, this course is designed to train the individual in the field of medical scribe. Students will learn the fundamentals of the career, including medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, electronic health records, medico-legal rules and regulations, including HIPAA, the essentials of medical billing and coding, and the necessary education using practical scribe scenarios to fulfill the diversity of the scribe training program. The purpose of the Medical Assisting Scribe program is to prepare students to assist physicians by performing functions related to the clinical and healthcare documentation capture aspects of a medical office. This program also includes an optional externship at a local healthcare provider.
The Clinical Medical Assisting Component of this training program includes training in the following areas:
- The Medical Assisting Profession
- Interpersonal Communication
- Patient-Centered Care
- The Clinical Environment: Safety and the Patient Encounter
- Medical and Surgical Asepsis
- Pharmacology and Medication Administration
- Vital Signs
- Minor Surgery
- Medical Imaging
- Pulmonary System and Testing
- Immunology and Allergies
- Emergency Care
- Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- Orthopedics and Physical Therapy
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Mental Health
- Alternative Medicine
The Medical Scribe component of this training program includes training in the following areas:
- Scribe Overview
- Chart Elements and Guidelines for Reimbursement
- HIPAA for Medical Scribes
- CMS Core Measures
- Translating Patient Speak into Medical Language
- Fundamentals of the Chief Complaint
- Fundamentals of the HPI
- Fundamentals of the Review of Systems
- Fundamentals of the Past Medical/Social/Family Histories
- Fundamentals of the Physical Exam
- Fundamentals of Medical Decision Making
- Critical Care Scribe Documentation (ER)
- Medication Review
- Lab and Diagnostic Studies review
- EHR for AHP Scribes
- Charting Practice
- Scribe Case Studies
The Clinical Medical Assisting/Medical Scribe program fee is an all-inclusive fee which covers everything a student needs to successfully complete our program. Our program fee covers:
- Course fees
Our Clinical Medical Assistant/Medical Scribe Training Program provides students a well-rounded introduction to clinical medical administration, medical scribe and delivers the skills students need to obtain a clinical medical assistant/medical scribe position or advance within their current healthcare career.
Program Title: Clinical Medical Assisting/Medical Scribe
Upon program completion, a certificate of completion is earned, and support is offered to our graduates to help secure employment.
Option 1 – Pay Upfront Plan – Save 10%!
The pay upfront program offers a 10% tuition discount for those individuals who are willing to pay upfront for their education.
Option 2 – Military Discount – Save 10%
As a Military Friendly School a 10% tuition discount is available to active military personnel and their spouses.
*The Pay Upfront Plan and the Military Discount cannot be combined and is limited to only one discount.
Option 3 – Monthly Payment Plan
The monthly payment plan includes a one-time initial payment of $295 due at time of enrollment with the balance billed in monthly installments. A 3% payment processing fee applies, and payments are automatically deducted from your credit card or bank account. Contact Admissions for details.
Option 4 – MyCAA Funding Program
We know that maintaining a career can be difficult with your military lifestyle. That’s why we provide a flexible way to complete your education in careers that are essential nationwide. Learn at home, on your own schedule for a career that will travel with you wherever you go. With MyCAA your education costs may be 100% covered, meaning you can focus on your future and not tuition costs. The MyCAA Funding program is administered by the Department of Defense.
The National HealthCareer Association (NHA) certifies Clinical Medical Assisting Professionals and is the nation’s largest health career certification provider. The NHA improves the quality of patient care by providing the tools needed for allied health certification.
Graduates from the AHDPGTM
Clinical Medical Assistant/Medical Scribe program are eligible and encouraged to sit for the CMSP and CCMA credentialing exams upon graduation.
The Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
The Certified Clinical Medical Assistant is an unlicensed, multi-skilled healthcare practitioner who is competent in both clinical and administrative procedures. As a CCMA you may perform some or all of the following tasks:
- Interview patients.
- Measure and record vital signs.
- Prepare exam rooms.
- Clean and sterilize medical equipment.
- Administer injections, as well as topical or oral medications.
- Perform venipuncture and point-of-care testing.
Benefits to obtaining a Clinical Medical Assistant Certification may include: more job opportunities, an increased pay scale, job security, and increased subject matter expertise.
The Medical Scribe Certification Exam (MSCE)
The Medical Scribe Certification Exam is administered by AHDPGTM
to certify the individual as either an Apprentice Medical Scribe Professional (AMSP) or Certified Medical Scribe Professional (CMSP). An individual who passes the MSCE with less than 200 hours of direct scribe experience is an Apprentice Medical Scribe Professional until they achieve 200 direct scribe hours. Apprentice Medical Scribe Professionals (those with less than 200 hours of direct scribe experience) can request via email@example.com to have their credential upgraded to Certified Medical Scribe Professional upon meeting the 200 hour requirement.
Upon successful completion of the online training program a student is eligible* for our optional Clinical Medical Assisting Externship. The Clinical Medical Assisting Externship is a standard 40 hour unpaid rotation. During this Externship students are given a chance to get hands on experience and practice conducting a variety of procedures on patients with supervision. The Externship is designed to ensure students get a minimum of 50 accurate sticks (combination of venipuncture/capillary sticks and 10 skin punctures) and record this on a log sheet that is signed by a lab supervisor.
As a participant in this Clinical Externship you must agree to provide a resume to their assigned Externship Coordinator no less than 3 weeks following initial contact. Failure to provide such resume will result in students not being able to participate in the externship opportunity. In addition the following terms and conditions apply to the externship:
- All externship opportunities are subject to the availability, scheduling and staffing needs of the facility.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to externship facilities.
- Attendance and punctuality at the facility is required.
- Students agree to comply with all facility policies including, but not limited to, the policy on professionalism, dress, uniform, and proper hygiene practices for a medical setting.
- The healthcare facility for which you volunteer is under no obligation to offer you employment (or any other employment benefit) at the conclusion of your clinical externship experience.
- All externship assignments are final and remain at the discretion of the facility. Under no circumstances are we or the facility to which you are assigned considered an employer with respect to students completing their clinical externship experience.
By participating in this process, students are entering into an unpaid volunteer clinical externship opportunity which, at no time, constitutes an employee-employer relationship. The facility is under no obligation to continue your clinical experience nor should you maintain these expectations.
*Students who wish to participate in the optional clinical externship portion of this course must complete their program with a grade of 70% or higher on the final exam and course average, spending at least 50 hours in the course. All externship placements are subject to the availability, scheduling and staffing needs of the externship sites.
Q: What are the minimum computer requirements for this course?
- The minimum computer requirements in order to successfully complete the course are as follows:
- Computer: Pentium-class PC with 1.7 Ghz processor or better
- RAM: 1GB min for 32bit; 2GB min for 64bit OS
- Operating System: Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1 or 10, MAC OS X
- High Speed Internet
- Headset/mic recommended (optional)
- Internet Explorer (11 or higher), latest versions of Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome
- Windows users: Microsoft PowerPoint viewer (free) or full Microsoft PowerPoint
- MAC users: Apple Keynote or PowerPoint for MAC and Windows Media Components for QuickTime (Flip4Mac Standard)
- Adobe Reader or equivalent PDF reader
The Nation’s Leader in Healthcare Documentation Services, Training, and Certification